Hudson went in for his second chemo treatment today. I was not traveling this time and got to take him.
The oncologist techs took us back to one of the visiting rooms to discuss how Hudson is doing. I mentioned the wobbling and they said they’d have a look at his other knee, but that wobbles are fairly regular for tripawds. If I notice trembling or buckling of the leg, then we have something to be worried about. Hudson was only with us for a few minutes before one of the surgical techs came to steal him. Apparently, some new vet techs had started since Hudson was last here and she had to go show him off. James and I went over a few more things (appetite, stool/urine, etc.) before he left to start the chemo.
I sat in the visiting room while I waited and loved that this poster is hanging in there.
I also loved the HOPE with paw prints. This must be where there they generally have cancer patient's family wait.
I tried to use my time wisely to get caught up on my blogging (since I’ve gotten lots of complaints about it.) :D However, Hudson’s white blood cell count was too low, so they were unable to administer chemo today. Dr. Janson came in and explained to me that chemo attacks fast replicating cells in the body. Cancer cells replicate quickly, as do hair follicles and white blood cells. If we had given him more chemo this time, it would have attacked his white cells and left him immuno-suppressed. Instead, we will wait a week and come back next Thursday to see if he is ready for treatment. Dr. Janson also mentioned that she will be changing up the amount of chemo he is given to try to prevent this from happening next time.
Dr. Janson also mentioned that Hudson is the practice’s current favorite patient. She told me that everyone, specialists included, drop everything to come see Hudson when he comes in. I asked if it is just because he’s a Great Dane, and she said that while she’s sure that plays a role, it’s mainly because he’s cool and affectionate. He's also very patient and well-behaved during procedures. I love that everyone loves him. Porter tends to be the crowd favorite when we go out in public, so I LOVE that Hudson is getting some attention.
Have I mentioned how much I love Hudson? He is doing so GREAT! And so are you and Tony! So proud of all of you!
ReplyDelete